Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Digital Citizenship

Hello all-
I just finished reading "Digital Citizenship in Schools"- overall I thought it was a good book.  Towards the end of the book there are several mini lessons that could be used within a classroom. Some examples of the topics covered include: cyberbullying, digital plagiarism, online etiquette,file sharing, and computer ergonomics.  With the sample mini lessons the book provides links to additional online resources. The book also provides a rubric to score students on the mini lessons- which I thought could be useful.  I know the topic of responsibility regarding who should be teaching students about digital citizenship has been brought up in many of our conversations. I believe that teachers shouldn't be the only people teaching students about the appropriate ways to use technology, but think that using these mini lessons would be a great way to educate our students. I believe it is very important to get parents involved in this process. I think it would be a great idea to hold workshops once a month about some of these current topics. It would allow for greater communication between parents and their students about the appropriate use of technology, and would educate parents as to all of the different ways technology can/should be used. In our district we have some flexibility regarding the common core- and I believe teachers would be able to incorporate a 10-15 minute lesson (taking ideas from the book) daily without taking too much time away from other lessons. We might use these lessons as bargaining tools for students- if they don't complete the daily lesson, they don't get to use the computer/ipad for the day, and will be given an alternate assignment. A great interdisciplinary Science/technology lesson could be about computer ergonomics and the effect  posture when using a computer can have on your body.  What does everyone else think? Would this be something that you might be able to implement within your classroom?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cassie,
I agree that teachers should not be the only ones responsible for teaching digital citizenship. I compare the process to students learning social norms for face to face conversation. While teachers assist with this and have certain expectations the process if well underway before students ever arrive at a school. I think digital citizenship is becoming the same way, children begin this process when they are very young and need to be properly socialized using technology. I was at a birthday party this weekend and some parents were talking about their 2 year olds favorite apps. Now while these kids were not necessarily communicating, they were playing games, they are only one step away from the communications. I bet by the time they are 4 they will be communicating online. So I agree, digital citizenship should be a shared responsibility just like the general well being of a child is.

alicia sirois said...

Ken and Cassie, I agree with both of you that it’s not just the teacher’s responsibility. I find that some students still aren’t computer literate by the time they reach high school. Basic usage stumps them. At the opposite end of the spectrum, there are students who could probably run the IT department. As a parent, I believe that practice should be provided at home too. In preparing children to be 21st century learners, support has to be provided in as many places as possible. Responsible usage should be taught at home, but that is not always the case.

Jessica Willem said...

@Cassie:

I completely believe that teachers shouldn't be the only people teaching students about the appropriate ways to use technology. However, parents may not be able to based on their own computer illiteracies. Do you think that those mini lessons in the back of the book could be given to parents as a resource for helping their own children?
I like your idea of having teachers incorporate a 10-15 minute lesson and class to educate the students, especially as bargaining tools for students and their technology uses. Having an alternate assignment elevates any issues as well.
In grade 3, we just received one student laptop to be used by the students for games, research, and typing when needed. I also plan to have students try out blogging. I definitely plan to tell them all the rules about digital citizenship, being trust worthy while on the computer, and consequences for not following the rules.
I know my tech director has the older students fill out a computer contract and they cannot use a computer until it is filled out by parents and students. Does your school also do some sort of contract like this?

I am thinking this may not be a bad idea for my own class in regard to informing parents and covering my own butt if their students look up something inappropriate, Ha-ha!

Post a Comment