Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Do you have Digital Citizenship in your school? #2

Hello there, hope everyone is enjoying an early release? I just finished reading Digital Citizenship in Schools, Section II. This section talked about having a "technology leader", who could be an administrator, technology coordinators,  or teacher who is in charge of leading the technology work that needs to be done in the school, or district. I'm not sure who this would be in my district? We have a lot of people who are in charge of our technology for our district. If I have any questions then I send a "Tech Ed Slip" to a department unknown. Then several days later, a nice gentleman shows up to fix my computer. We have a button on our website that only teachers can access for technology help. Other than that, in first grade we don't have a computer teacher that comes into our computer lab to teach to the students. That would be me! My building has a Technology Committee, which is made up of four teachers, K-2.  We have Technology Meetings on the first Friday of every month during Breakfast! The Technology Committee took a survey at the beginning of the year and asked the staff to fill out a KWL chart on technology. We used that data to come up with "Hot Topics" to cover during our Technology Meetings. This is an optional meeting, but it's in everyone's best interest to attend because we do serve a yummy breakfast! The meeting is held in the computer lab and usually last about a half hour. During this time we show the staff something that they wanted to know and we are available to answer any questions at this time. I feel these Technology Meetings are very helpful to the staff and especially the teachers who are hesitant about bringing technology into their classroom.
We are hoping that in the budget for next year they will find some money to hire a computer teacher for all K-2 schools. I do bring my classroom to the computer lab twice a week for thirty minutes. During fifteen minutes of this time we work on a program that was purchased by the district, which works on phonics and literacy based activities. The rest of the time we explore math websites, or integrated studies. We had to start with the basics, how to turn on the computer. What is a mouse?  How to log on to our website?
 I am hopeful that someday we will have a technology leader that is responsible for educating teachers, administrators, parents and the community about the importance of digital citizenship.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

5 comments:

Jessica Willem said...

@Heather:
I loved reading that you make time to take your students in the computer lab twice a week. I think I will suggest for the teachers in my school to make time for this as well. It would be so beneficial for both the students and the teachers to do this in my school too. I would ask them to start in Kindergarten so that by the time the students reach grade 3, they will have mastered how to use a computer.
At my school we have a technology director and one assistant who also teaches at least one computer class, an hour a week to every grade at my school. Starting in grade 1, students in his class learn the very basics and then moves all the way up to video production in grade 8.
I really like the idea of having a “Hot Topic” breakfast as well. It sounds fun, filling, and educational!

alicia sirois said...

That sounds like a great idea! Our staff learning on technology has been coming once a month from other teachers during an hour-long presentation. And that’s only if it’s willing to be presented by other teachers and an option for that month! With so much out there, in-depth training would be much more helpful. I just got a smart board this year, but was provided little training. Eventually, a staff member gave some basic training during one of the afternoon programs. I’m finding that the staff members really need to advocate for themselves!

Mrs. Mitchell's Class said...

Jessica, I would greatly suggest that your school starts early with the kiddos. Teach them the basics early with all the "how to's" helps to prepare them. If we teach them the correct way to use the computers they will hopefully continue to use it that way.
Alicia, good for you getting a smart board! You go GIRL!! My advice to you is make yourself use it. Even if you do one lesson a day. You will become comfortable with it, the more you use it. I've taught my students to turn the projector one and orient the smart board for me. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Unknown said...

Heather, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There needs to be someone in our buildings that can teach us how to use the technology. In my building, being that I teach high school students, we are actually looking to students to take an "independent study" where they teach teachers how to use various aspects of technology. The cool thing about this is A) students are getting real world experience in which they are training people how to utilize useful technology, and B)teachers are getting the training without having to go home and spend their precious free time figuring it out on their own.

Mrs. Mitchell's Class said...

Garrett, what a great idea. Is this "independent study" being implemented already? I'm very curious how this all works out.

Post a Comment