Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Creating Digital Citizens

Creating Digital Citizens
 
21st Century Skills Application
Without even knowing it, I have been "Creating Digital Citizens" out of my students on a weekly basis.  At the beginning of the year, I established "Gaming Groups" with all 4 of my Math classes.  Since my technology is so limited, I provide a list of saved games for my students to use that have to do with the lesson we are currently working on.  Back in the beginning of the year, we had discussions of what is appropriate use of the technology and how to appropriately navigate through sites.  I also had my students sign a contract indicating their awareness of the technology usage so I knew we were all on the same page.  As the school year went one, I encouraged my students to bring in sites they use at home to share with the class.  To date, we have a pretty large list of sites my students use to help improve and strengthen their math skills. 
I doing these groups, students are able to collaborate with each other, not only about the new sites they have found, but how to navigate the sites.  It's great for me to watch my students be the teachers and leaders of a game or activity online and show it to a classmate.  They feel as if they have "mastered" something and to share it with a peer is absolutely great to watch and see.  Having these groups also allows students to communicate about their site and how they use it.  Not only do I observe my students communicating about how the site works, they are also teaching and helping their peers to practice the math that is on the site.  This allows me to help and work with other groups that are working on either independent practice or other group work.  With my "gaming groups" I'm also able to incorporate more variety of critical thinking.   I am able to differentiate to cater to all the needs in my class without having it be noticable.  I know students are aware when a teacher hands out quizzes or tests and some students get a different version that someone else.  With providing the choice for students at the computer, they can self navigate and find a game or activity from the list that fits their needs.  Most of my students are very good at determining what is a good fit for them.  I've also found that this leaves the door of creativity wide open.  Some of my students have asked if it's okay if they add an activity to our website list instead of a game.  I absolutely told them they could.  An activity could include an appropriate lesson they need to create online and present.  Unfortunately, however a lot of neat sites that I'd like to present to my kids are blocked by the server here at school.  I presented Glogster to my students as a choice to use for a poster project they had just a little while ago.  One student used the site out of 4 of my classes. (85 students)  Mainly because the site is blocked here at school so my kids couldn't work on it here and to have me help guide them. 
Digital Citizenship Application
So, I had my students sign contracts that we developed which included appropriate usages and behavior of using the internet.  Many of my students do not have internet access at home, so when we do our "gaming groups" this is a time for them to really navigate, explore and learn/practice math in a very different light, other than just paper and pencil from homework given the previous night.  I created and gave an internet survey which I designed so I could determine the internet access of my students.  I was surprised that 70% do have access to the internet.  The other 30%, although a small percentage, either have no access or limited access.  I was happy to hear my students say, "well, my parents only allow me on after dinner time," or "my mom has to put in the password in order for me to use the computer."  Honestly, it was a sense of security for me because I know some of my kids are monitored while online. 
I have also began allowing my students to email me in a professional manner.  I explained to my students that sometimes they aren't going to understand a piece of homework.  I introduced them to emailing me appropriate questions.  I also gave them a separate email which is only for student communication.  In the beginning, I think a lot of students thought it was "weird" to email their teacher asking about homework or asking for help, however, now that it is March, a lot more of my students are emailing great insightful questions or comments about the homework or any assignments they need help with.  I think it's great that I've allowed myself to open my eyes to a different way of communication with my students as well as they feel like they can come to me.  It has really helped those students who don't have a study hall because then they can email me at night and I usually get back to them the same night with an answer.  They do know, however that I will not check/respond to their communication past 8:00 pm. 
Lastly, I've talked a lot about digital etiquette with my students.  Not only for my "gaming groups" but for other social devices as well.  Often times we will get off topic, which is really no surprise in my classroom, but when we do, students talk about "drama" on facebook or through texting.  I can't stress to my students enough how important it is to say little to nothing online because it will follow them forever.  Personally, I don't get into too much detail because I feel that is the parents responsibility, however I do drill into their brains that they need to be careful.  We talk and discuss about how if you aren't able/willing to say something to someone in person, face to face, then certainly don't write it on a screen where the words will be forever.  We have discussed and written down ways to "be nice" to everyone through those sorts of digital devices.  Thinking about my "gaming groups," we have talked about the basics of where to navigate, what is appropriate and what to do should they navigate somewhere that is not appropriate.  My students are really good at using the technology appropriately and helping out their peers who aren't as "tech savy."  They even teach me!
Developmental Awareness
In creating my "gaming groups," it has allowed me to mix up my kids weekly, allow them choice within their group to choose games or activities that are appropriate for them and it allows my students to come in with their own findings and explorations from home.  I feel like I can reach all of my learners by giving them the opportunity to participate in their own learning. 


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment