Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Lol...OMG #5


Lol……..OMG
Reading this book made me think of the night when we Googled ourselves in class. I wasn’t sure at the time what I would find.  I found a few things about myself that were posted that I wasn’t aware of. I was in shock that all of this information about me could be found online. I searched all of the sites that were given out in class. I found some pictures of me but most of the information that I found was information about where I live. Then I looked up my husband and found so much information about him. He had the same information about our house and address plus he had a bunch of pictures and other details about his family. There was a family tree which listed a few of his family members. I thought this was pretty scary. Later that night when I got home from class I had to share this information with my husband and we spend a lot of time online searching ourselves to see what was out there.  He too was in shock to see his digital foot print.

I looked up a few of my current students to see what or if any of them had a digital footprint. I couldn’t find one thing on any of my students. I started looking up some of my students that I had when I taught fifth grade. The amount of information that I found was endless.  I found lots of pictures and all kinds of information about them. They’re about fourteen or fifteen right now and this is mindboggling because I feel that they haven’t learned about digital citizenship and etiquette.  If I could go back in time to the years that I taught fifth grade and teach them about digital citizenship and etiquette I totally would. curriculum/standards. Would they be making the same mistakes that I saw online? Would they be more aware of their digital footprint? Would I have been able to prepare them for the high tech technology that we have seven years later?  Could I have helped to educate their parents to be more aware of the dangers that are out there?

I guess my only hope is that their teachers now are doing so!  But I’m scared to think that I didn’t know what digital citizenship was before this class?  I wasn’t aware of the dangers and the footprint it leaves so how can I expect them or my colleagues to know? I must continue to teach and pass along my knowledge. We teach young students from the very beginning to not use their real name and then when they get older we expect them to be honest and use their correct information? So which is it? 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment